Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What Keeps You Coming Back For More?

Have you ever been reading a book only to surface hours later amazed at how much time has passed? Most of the great storytellers affect me this way (J.R. Ward, Nora Roberts, J.K. Rowling, J.R.R. Tolkien as a few examples) but WHAT is it exactly they're doing? How can words on a page transport me to a different country, time or universe? You know, "that place" where you're so absorbed in the story that it almost becomes more real to you than your "real" life.

If I had the answer to that I suppose I would rule the writing world :)>

Some of my faves are the entire Harry Potter series, The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward and Nora Roberts "Irish Trilogy".



What are some books that have taken you to "that place"?

Minx

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Wow. I could list tons of books that do this for me.
A DANCE THROUGH TIME by Lynn Kurland NO COMPROMISE by Rochelle Alers THE TAMING OF JESSI ROSE by Beverly Jenkins
THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY by Trenton Lee Stewart
Undead & Unwed by Maryjanice Davidson

A great storyline, interesting characters and a dose of dark humor keep me involved in a story.

Debra Kayn said...

Robyn Carr's Virgin River Series does it for me. She transports me to the fictional town of Virgin River every time. I swear if it was a real town, I could walk down the street saying hi to everyone because she tells you about everyone. They feel like friends.

I love books that do this. :-)